October 8, 2009

I Lettered in Duck and Cover

Y ou would think a veteran soccer mom would have better reflexes - or at the very least marginally cooler moves. You would be wrong.

One moment I was sitting court side at my daughter's soccer match, sipping a tasty french vanilla cappuccino. All was right with the world. The next, a soccer ball came flying off field right at my head.

Now, I may be bad at soccer but I ROCK at self-preservation.I instinctively put up my arm to shield my face. This was an excellent move - except for the fact that I was holding the cappuccino in that hand.  The ball hit my cup instead of my head, causing the lid to fly off with a mighty "crack!" and the cappuccino I was holding to drench me. It was a French Vanilla tsunami. People two seats down were hit in the back splash. The entire game came to a halt so the official could say "are you okay?!" while he struggled not to laugh. Mr. Wonderful, coaching from across the field, even gallantly pulled out his cel phone to call and check up on me - his poor drippy little wife. That would have been such a sweet gesture if he'd stopped laughing.